Friday, April 30, 2021

1. Marguerite Rost, large platter

1. Marguerite Rost, large platter 

 



Rost (1912-2004) was a potter in Palo Alto, California. In a letter to the September 1968 issue of Ceramic Art Network, she mentioned that she had been making pottery for only a few years.

Light tan clay. Top and sides are glazed; colors are mottled browns, grays, and creams, with an almost calligraphic design in dark brown and blue. Weight: 2.785 kg (6.2 lbs). Diameter of rim: 34.5 cm (13-5/8 in); diameter of footring: 24 cm (9-1/2 in). Height: 5.5 cm (2-1/8 in). Signed on base with incised  “Rost.”

This was my first purchase of art pottery. For some reason I saved the receipt for this. I bought this on November 25, 1970, at the Los Robles Gallery on Ramona Street in downtown Palo Alto. At the time I didn’t anticipate that I would continue to collect pottery and didn’t keep good records of my purchases. I paid $15.00 for this; it was marked down because it was a second (there is a small chip on the rim. To put that in context, $15 was a week’s worth of groceries for one person at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pottery

265. MURAKOSHI Takuma, 1954- , guinomi

265. MURAKOSHI Takuma  村越琢 磨 , 1954- , Sake-nomi   酒呑 (sake cup) For Murakoshi, see item no. 234.  Light gray clay from Shigaraki. A few ...